Sunday, February 24, 2019

Lesson #13

The truth about sexism is that it does exist. It may be diminishing with time, but it still finds ways to creep into our lives. Now I don't want to think of this as starting an argument, but as many problems as men may understand— this is not one of them. Even I cannot begin to understand what it must be like to have society waive my right to vote because they do not believe that I am equipped for such a task.
When this country was born, men were given the birthright to vote— this was something that women had to fight for. Women were rarely given the opportunity to work, until WWII when there were not enough men home to work. It is important to acknowledge that these rights are not something that were handed to a women, they were not something that she could call her own. This is why I believe that it is hard for men to understand. They were never given the oppressive message that they were undeserving to have such liberties. Men have never once had to give a reason as to why they would prefer to find a job rather than clean up after the children. I believe that instead of becoming defensive about such a topic, it is important to understand that the message behind it is not malevolent, but rather explanatory.
When reading "Letters" between John and Abigail Adams, it is sad to say that Abigail was forced to argue with her own husband that she should have rights. Women were not given the right to vote, as they preached for equality, and protested the hypocrisy. She requested that men "give up the harsh title of master" so that the minds of capable women could finally be heard. It was those who were born with their rights handed to them on a silver platter that were reluctant to extend the same liberties to others. Abigail was required to prove to her husband that she was deserving, because a women's wit and intelligence is something that society questions.
I personally can't think of many times where men had to prove to women that they were deserving of the rights we were deprived of. I think this is one of the instances where you really cannot understand unless you were to walk a mile in the shoes of a women.; because in that case, I would like to go back in time and ask a man why he would deserve the right to vote over his wife. I would like to ask the employers that pay women less why a males work is more valued than a females?
There are some choices that really baffle me, but the one that feels most present at this moment is why no man stood up for his wife. Why did no brother stand up for his sister? Why did no father stand up for his daughter? Was there some type of disease that made women look comparingly less worthy? I cannot seem to fathom why the role of a women was cast the way it was. I look around me today and I see a world of women who are doing amazing things, and women who are changing this planet for the better; and this just makes me ask: how much better would this world be if society had realized the importance of equality?

Lesson #13: The rights of one should be the rights of all.


2 comments:

  1. I really like how you took the chance to connect the readings in class to a current social issue!I agree with you, why is it that women are forced to have the hardship? I like your use of rhetorical questions to really make people think about this issue! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your voice was so strong in this post, and I loved what you were saying! Great post Jess, although men may never be able to see the woman-ly side of the issue, you did a great job representing your perspective through questioning the reasons behind sexism. Loved how you started it too.

    ReplyDelete